18 January 2009

Travel research - part I

A few links were open today during the creation of the blog. While checking wikipedia and answers.com for some concepts, I crossed:
  • Backpacking, which is what we will be doing;
  • Ultralight backpacking - a form of backpacking where people try to stay below 9kg or even below 4.5kg for a determinated hike, bringing all essential stuff to ensure their safety. While the article and definition covers essentially fully autonomous multi-day hiking (which we will not be doing), it comes with some ideas that Eva and me have already implemented in our trips: multi-functional gear, light weight clothes, cut on any superfluous item and cut in sizes of toilet items. This way we managed to travel each one with a 35l backpack for up to 20 days trips (without food). And this also includes an autonomous (except lodging) three day cross-country ski holiday in Lapland, where we had to carry clothing+food+beer. :-) An article about our backpack and carrying stuff will certainly follow on this blog.
  • Backpacking light magazine - a magazine for the affictionados of ultralight backpacking.
  • Banana Pancake trail - is a list of places in SouthEast Asia where backpackers often go. I've already done the destinations in Malaysia - Perhentian Islands and Melaka - but my friend Luís is a good master of it, I believe also because of the infamous "Lonely Planet - SouthEast Asia in a shoestring" which I offered him on his departure from Geneva.
  • Wanderlust - or strong and irresistible impulse to travel. I discover this word couple years ago and love it (a reference in my other blog).

No comments:

Post a Comment